Guiding Principles of
of Fresh Sound Philanthropy
- Burt family trustees become engaged in the non-profits they give to and make a commitment to become knowledgeable about them over time. We meet non-profits at the intersection of our values and their sense of where they are going.
- The greatest threat to the future is a passive population. We support programming that creates critical thinking through creative initiatives.
- If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. We commit a significant percentage of our grantmaking dollars to capacity-building for our grantees.
- We are invested in developing and supporting leadership that contributes to ealthy communities.
- We believe in listening carefully and then helping non-profits invent a creative solution. Our work requires not only the humility of understanding that non-profit leaders are engaged in the work as we are not, but also the conviction that we should bring our talents to the table when we work with them.
- We want to be powerful advocates for community development.
- We contribute to non-profits that work towards tolerant and engaged communities. In 20 years we want to be able to say that we have contributed to a civil society engaging in the privilege of a democratic system.