Guiding Principles of Fresh Sound Philanthropy
- We believe in listening carefully and then supporting non-profits inventing a creative solution. Our work as trustees requires the humility of understanding that non-profit leaders are engaged in the work as we are not, and also the conviction that we can bring our professional and personal talents to the table when we work with them. We meet non-profits at the intersection of our professional skills, values and resources with their plans for their future.
- We believe the greatest threat to the future is a passive population. We support programming that creates critical thinking through creative initiatives.
- We believe that if you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. We commit a significant percentage of our grantmaking dollars to capacity-building for our grantees. Especially during down markets, we may focus, for example, on marketing and development, challenge grants, and strategic planning.
- We believe innovative philanthropy naturally becomes a model to be replicated. We are willing to take risks with our giving towards that goal. In return, we ask that non-profits document their process, so that the process can be learned from. The process becomes as important as the result. We aim to leverage the lessons learned by making them available on our website and at convening forums that we sponsor.
- We are active advocates for community development, citizen engagement and leadership.
- We contribute to non-profits that work towards tolerant and engaged communities as the key to building civil societies. We celebrate diversity in our communities and believe it enriches our perspective.
- We believe that experiences in the natural world are key to a just and sustainable society.
- We support advocacy and public policy in all our fields of interest.